Batman has Robin. The Green Hornet has Kato. Snoopy has Woodstock. Find a great person out there and chances are they’ve got a sidekick, someone who gives them a boost in times of trouble, ferrets out important data or handles an easier task to free up the other person’s time.
That’s what Automated Build Studio is to TestComplete.
Now you may be thinking, “But Nick, I thought ABS was a build tool! How will it help me in my automated testing?”
So very glad you asked.
The thing is, “testing” comprises a whole lot more than just running tests. If you’ve ever had to adjust system settings, copy in baseline files, prep a database or otherwise prepare your environment for a test, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Back when I was a tester, I had one test that took 40 minutes to prep and only five minutes to run. The upshot is that those prep tasks can take just as much, if not more, time out of a tester’s day.
Those tasks can be automated via TestComplete, but they usually require a user to write code, which many novices are uncomfortable with. However, ABS allows users to do some very sophisticated things in a graphical way, eliminating the need to write code. Here are five common “test prep” tasks that ABS can do for you.
1. Copy Files: Do you need to do some File>Open testing? Well, you have to make sure you’ve got some files to open! ABS allows you to easily specify which files/folders should be copied to your target system via the Copy File(s) operation.
2. Restore Databases: Need to make sure that you’re testing with a clean slate? No problem. The Restore Database command will automatically put your DB back to a known state and let you get on with your testing. There’s a corresponding Backup Database command too.
3. Email Test Results: Forget writing code to attach your test logs to an email. ABS can handle that for you.
4. Power Up Virtual Machines: Running tests on VMs? Have ABS automatically start or stop them for you. We will actually have a complete series of video highlighting ABS’ virtualization capabilities in a future blog post. So please stay tuned for a part 2 in the coming weeks!
5. Get Tests Out of Source Control: You are keeping your tests in a source control system, right? Doing so ensures your tests are backed up and versioned. ABS can automatically check them out, no knowledge of command line switches required.
This barely scratches the surface of ABS’ capabilities. You can learn more about ABS and its capabilities here. Download it, take it for a spin, and think you’ll agree that it will get your environments prepped and ready to go faster than Robin can say “Holy test automation, Batman!”
Batman poster credit: Bloop – Superhero Poster Series